Yoga studio in St. Petersburg
Moskovsky prospect, 4
This interior took shape due to circumstances, although it often seemed that in spite of it.
Judge for yourself: according to the records, a 6-floor building №4 on Moskovsky Prospekt with a corner tower forms an ensemble of Sennaya Square together with house №6 and forms the entrance to the Sennaya Market. According to some documents, the construction of the house dates back to 1910-11, the architect is A.S. Khrenov, who at one time was the chief architect of St. Isaac's Cathedral replacing Mismakher in this position. He was a landmark architect for St. Petersburg, building and rebuilding more than 30 structures, including the last palace of the Romanov family, but that is not the point. "In 1829, Mrs. Poltoratskaya sold part of the land to the retired staff captain Prince Alexander Yegorovich Vyazemsky, who built two buildings on this site, separated by a large undeveloped land (now houses No. 4 and 6 on Moskovsky Prospect). In the outbuildings overlooking the avenue, there were family baths, porter houses, a tavern, a drinking house and other small trading establishments, in the courtyard stretching to the Fontanka embankment - a tea house, an inn, workshops, "we read in Veksler's Essays on History. You can also find references to the fact that the hostels located in these houses were ironically called "Vyazemskaya Lavra", and that Raskolnikov met there with Svidrigailov. But here also were some inconsistencies: during the renovation of the premises given to the yoga studio, several bricks with the hallmark of 1813 were removed from the walls.
As for the work in a historic building with dilapidated shingle ceilings, where it was supposed to make a universal hall for aero- and for Bikram yoga, for which the air heats up to 42 degrees with a humidity of more than 40% with a special built-in steam generation system, and for aero yoga it still requires strong ceiling mounts for hammocks - channels were brought by a crane through the windows of the second floor, on which the studio is located, the walls were strengthened, the floors were sorted out, in fact, creating new volumes inside the old space. And built in a complex ventilation system, coordinating it with the services of architectural and construction supervision of the city. Well, and an amazing piquant circumstance that local architects know about: they had to hide the funnel, located directly on the opposite side of the entrance to the studio and going through the whole building from the sixth to the first floor. And the result was indeed a success.
The arched structure, hiding the pipe mentioned above, serves as a stable reception; all rooms, except for the hall, are designed in the midcentury style: to solve the interiors inside the house, in which elements of modern and classicism are combined, in the loft style, which is abused by the studios, as well as the organic naive style, to which the practitioners themselves gravitate, it was completely impossible. That is why brass shines so brightly on the lamps, throwing reflections on the birds of paradise Matthew Williams, arches alternate with semi-arches, poplar and "bird's-eye" maple veneers seem appropriate in the favorite combinations of mid-centuri colors - green, purple, red and ocher with gold. I also have a recollection that the tall ceiling in the hall was painted with Sherwin Williams blue paint, and this color is called "Moscow sky". If you climb on a wide window sill, you can observe the hustle and bustle of Moskovsky Prospekt, formerly called Obukhovsky, then Zabalkansky, originally the Moscow highway, the former main - Tsarsky - highway of the country leading to the busiest city in Eastern Europe.